Friday, February 20, 2009

Sponge Bob and cheese

A conversation in the car:

Let me preface this with the fact that I don't really care for or know much about Sponge Bob - nothing against the cartoon, I've only ever seen bits and pieces and I don't really get why it's so funny. (I'll take your word for it! I know there are tons of people who love Bob.) Also, my kids haven't watched a lot of Sponge Bob - on vacation (hotel room cartoons) and at other people's houses.

Cole: Hey mom, isn't that funny that on Sponge Bob there is a cheese that lives in the ocean. That's so funny.
Mom: Yeah, that's funny. Well, it's a cartoon and it's not all real - they make up a lot of stuff.
Cole: Oh, and there's a starfish. That's funny.
Mom: Starfish are real and live in the ocean.
Cole: Yeah, but the starfish talks and there's a crab. Isn't that funny?
Mom: No, crabs live in the ocean, too.
Then it dawns on me....
Mom: Cole, what character on Sponge Bob is cheese?
Cole: Sponge Bob is the cheese.
LOL!
Mom: Actually, Sponge Bob is a sponge in the ocean. And there really are sponges in the ocean.
Cole: Oh.

One reason this is so funny to me is because when Cole was two he had Sponge Bob underwear (hand-me-downs, which Jerry thinks is sooo wrong, but that's another topic) and he called them Cheese Bob. I never corrected it because I thought it was so funny. So, all this time, Cole has thought that Bob was a piece of cheese living in the ocean. Your right, Cole, that is funny!

OK, this might only be funny to me (reading back over it), but that's alright... I still think it's funny.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

I think it's hilarious! by the way...i hate sponge bob too...i don't get it, don't think it's funny and i don't think they treat each other nicely (which is what i say to the boys when they ask to watch it...)

Patty T said...

Hey now, don't be Sponge Bob haters. It's no worse than Looney Tunes when we were kids. They were quite cruel on that cartoon. Of course my kids are older so they don't act out stuff they see on cartoons anymore. That might make a difference...It's kind of like kid slap stick. Love Spongebob...or cheesebob

Rick and Terry said...

Ya know.... it's a good thing that you cleared up the sponge/cheese thing. It would be terrible for Cole to get in an argument with a friend over whether or not bob was a sponge or cheese --- phew! dodged that one by a wiska I'd say.

PS
I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan either and it's not because I don't have peeps at home.

Lorna said...

If I had only known you take hand-me-down undies! Laughing!

I have to say, Bob does look more like a big piece of swiss than a sponge!

Jodi said...

I think that's funny too! :)

Alisha said...

Chuckle, chuckle. I love having these conversations with my kids. I have one somewhere buried in my blog about "balls." They're talking about one thing and you're talking about something else entirely. Funny!

We don't do Sponge Bob, either. I just don't get the appeal.

Oh, and Davin has a bunch of hand me down underwear. I thought it was gross at first, but couldn't actually figure out WHY it was gross. They're clean!!!

p.s. I miss seeing you!

Anonymous said...

I think the funniest part is knowing how serious Cole can be. You can be sure he thought out the whole thing for quite awhile before discussing it with anyone. Altho I'm not a big fan of Sponge/Cheese Bob I will defend the fact that compared to today's cartoons of violence etc. it is very tame. The Road Runner and Wily Coyote were pretty tough as well as Tom and Jerry did some pretty mean things to each other. The difference now days is that there is no good lesson to be learned from cartoons like in the old days. Moral of the story stuff to learn from.

Grandma Dolley

Anonymous said...

I think the funniest part is knowing how serious Cole can be. You can be sure he thought out the whole thing for quite awhile before discussing it with anyone. Altho I'm not a big fan of Sponge/Cheese Bob I will defend the fact that compared to today's cartoons of violence etc. it is very tame. The Road Runner and Wily Coyote were pretty tough as well as Tom and Jerry did some pretty mean things to each other. The difference now days is that there is no good lesson to be learned from cartoons like in the old days. Moral of the story stuff to learn from.

Grandma Dolley

Blog Widget by LinkWithin