Wednesday, May 5, 2010

imagine this

Imagine this... and you'll have to because I did not pick up or remember my camera all last weekend. Saturday was a great time with friends out of town. The kids played great, ate frozen yogurt and we all lounged around the pool and warmed in the sun after a week of thunder storms and hail storms. Sunday was the AWANA awards and final night before summer vacation. The word on the street was an ice cream social and bounce houses. I had no idea each AWANA group would stand on stage in the sanctuary of the church and sing songs. I sat thinking, "I should have brought my camera. I wish we had a video camera right now. I should have invited the grandparents." It will have to stay tucked away in my heart, those eyes and smiles and sweet, sweet voices.  My memories are all I have to remember it by.

They were each recognized with a spiritual trait (and of course I'm going to share that with you!)  Luke was recognized for sensitivity (Romans 12:15).  Cole's was patience (James 1:19) and Grace's was joyfulness (Proverbs 15:13).  I think the teacher's hit it right on.

Here's a funny story (from the awards night) that describes Cole's personality perfectly.  Cole was in line for the bounce house and the girl in front of him turned around and screamed in his face, "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"  Jerry said when she stopped she took another breath and repeated the scream in the face again.  After about 30 seconds of this, she turned back around to wait in line (strange.)  Cole never flinched or looked away.  Then when it was over, he looked over to his dad and gave a weak smile.  If it had been Luke, he would have cried (or punched her).  And Grace would probably say, "what the heck!?"  Cole, I'm sure, was processing the entire scene, but said nothing.

Life overwhelms me at times.  (There, I said it.)  I know most likely that I'm not alone in feeling this way.  So many things.  Not enough time or money. 

It feels good sometimes to leave the camera behind and just enjoy the moments.  To soak it up and not feel the pressure of capturing the moments that I often miss while hurring around with my camera.  The thing is, I still captured it... right here.  And all you have to do, is to imagine.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I had a very similar experience this week. I headed to the park and got there without my camera. It must have been fate because I felt lost for the first ten minutes and then I started walking around and just enjoying the scent of the lilacs and time together. Those memories can't be captured by film (eh, digital goodness).

Patty T said...

She did chose each kid's personality right on!

I hear you on the overwhelmed thing. I think I'm about to burst sometimes and then something else comes along that pulls me in a different direction, causing me to forget what I was overwhelmed over. Not that it's gone away, it's still there, waiting for me to get to it when I can. Still there...waiting...patiently...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin