Monday, October 1, 2007

So your serious about coffee huh?? Part II


So after returning home from a wonderful 5th Anniversary, I poured out a 1/2 pound of the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee and fired up the oven to around 350 and let them bake. After about 20 mins I checked. Nothing, just some hot green beans. So I upped the temp to 400. 20 mins go by and I check. They are changing color to a toasty brown. Yes I am on my way. After about 10 more mins I check and as I am opening the over I notice that out of the vent there is a little smoke. I open the door and billowing black smoke is pumping out. I think the roast is done. Come to find out I have burnt one side of the bean and the other is still green. Attempt 1 -FAILURE!!

So next I thought I would try the stove top method. Got a frying pan med hot and poured in the beans. After a couple mins the beans started to pop, color was changing and once again there was billowing smoke.
Now, I didn't mention this before but all the smoke alarms are going off and the smell is intense. I can deal with a little bit but this is thick, and it doesn't go away for a few hours.

So, because the beans are only changing on one side I figure that I need to move them around a little. So I start to stir. And that quickly moves to shaking for the next 5 mins or so. The haze in the house is now at about head level and Marjorie is not pleased. So I take the stuff outside and figure that I will let it cool down and examine the beans. Cool bean exam reveals burnt one side and brown the other. So I figure that this is worth a attempt at brewing. Grind it up and brew. Attempt 2-FAILURE!!

This goes on for some time. Attempt 3,4,5,6 all-FAILURE!!
So the beans are siting the cabinet for the next couple years. I tell myself and Marjorie that I am going to figure this out one day. But it never happened.

Then about 4 years later and after picking up another bad habit, I was surfing the cigar forum I just joined and they have a whole thing on home roasting. Yes!!

So a little reading and some question asking and I found out that this can be done. You just need the right stuff.

In the meantime I had one of the forum members send me a sample of her home roasted coffee and was blown away. I had no idea that coffee could get so much better.

Now you can go out and buy a roaster that will make things pretty easy, but I choose the cheap route to find out if I was going to follow through with this home roasting thing. So I went to ebay and bought a Westbend Poppery II hot air popcorn popper for 3 bucks. Ordered up a couple pounds of green beans, wishing I still had my old JBM, and went to work. After about 8 mins of roasting and 12 hrs of resting, BAM, I had fresh roasted coffee. I was hooked.
To be continued...
(roasting basics)



3 comments:

Kirstie said...

Your roast your own coffee?? Very cool! Between you and George, I can have a cup of coffee and a beer all homemade. Good times.

Grace and Aria said...

Stay tuned, there may be a fresh roast coffee opportunity in someones future.
~jd

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear I may have another hobby if Craig reads this . It sounds so fun and love the story of how you figured out how to roast. Air Popper, who would have figured. Brilliant! Looking forward to roasting basics!

Kathryn

Blog Widget by LinkWithin