Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Weird in My Neighborhood

This was a really hard one for me. It was difficult to think of what was weird in our neighborhood. I think you get used to your surroundings and it doesn't seem so weird anymore.

Redwoods or cypress (whatever they are) next to palm trees - seems a little strange to me sometimes.

About a year ago (or maybe 2) these orange, fluorescent feet prints (print or prints??) were painted on our street. They were put there for the Western States run that happens every year and ends in our town. That way the runners know which way to run (or walk.) There they are, about every 15 feet or so. I was soooo mad when they first painted them because they were bright! Day-glow bright. But in time, they have faded and I don't even notice the prints anymore. And after all, we are the "Endurance Capital of the World."

We live just a couple streets behind Downtown Auburn - which is beautiful and old (for California) and full of history. This neighborhood assignment has had me out walking a lot more and made me realize that the weird thing is... I don't come down here to walk around nearly enough. I needed this reminder to go and check out my neighborhood a little more often.


And here is a vacant lot on one end of downtown that I have always thought was strange that it's empty.

Tomorrow, what is special in my neighborhood. hmmmm...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the contrast in trees! Does seem weird that they can grow in the same place. Which one was there first do you think? Which is native?

Grace and Aria said...

The palm trees were imported, I'm sure.

Molly said...

Kirstie and I were just talking about how weird it is that we are in the Endurance Capital of the World, yet there is no safe place to walk or ride your bike continuously! You know all about the sidewalks here, but for those of you who don't know, they start and stop and sometimes cannot be found to begin with. Thank goodness for all terrain jogger strollers!

Anonymous said...

Yes, redwoods and palm trees living together seems strange. Endurance capital - I love how states/towns come up with these slogans.

Kirstie said...

I wish you could have gotten a picture of Gilbert. He is definitely a "weird" fixtue -- loveable -- but weird (sorry for those of you who can not see Gilbert).

Grace and Aria said...

Yes, Gilbert rides his bike (streamers and all) wearing a coons skin cap and honking his bike horn. (this is the short description) He's in his 70's and he's been hit by a car on his bike several times. I saw him walking the other day :( Jerry said he got hit recently. I hope he gets a new bike soon.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin