Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thankful for Mandarins


The Mandarin Festival was this weekend. It was okay - it's really nothing to write home about. The exciting part is not the festival, but the mandarins! We bought a ten pound bag on Sunday and there are only a few left. Tomorrow will require a trip to one of the local stands to pick up yet another bag.

The mandarin is (in my opinion) one of, if not THE perfect fruit. Good ones are easy to peel, no seeds and perfectly sweet - but not too sweet. I often think that God was such a genius to give us mandarins (or oranges in general) right during the "cold and flu season" when we need vitamin C the most. And they are quite plentiful here in the foothills.




I also love that if my kids ask, "Can we have dessert?" I can easily tell them "yes,mandarins" and the response is happiness all around. Mandarin season is only a couple months long, so if you have access to them, eat up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love mandarins too! I must have missed them at the supermarket yesterday with all the chaos over Thanksgiving. I think that is when I had my head down and elbows out ready to ram people with my cart as I entered the madness.

I must go back and get some mandarins... on Friday!

Kirstie said...

Nicely said. You listed all my favorite things about Mandrins too (delicious, full of vitamin C, and e-a-s-y to peel -- "mom, can you peel this for me? Guess what! You can do it all by yourself!" I am remembering here. Now that my kids are older, however, they still like to find reasons for me to do the little things for them.)

Beautiful poster you posted too.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I tagged you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin