Friday, August 22, 2008

Luke update

Let me just start by saying thank you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. Yesterday is a day that Jerry and I had much anxiety about and now I think we are both trying to process the information we were given and also recover mentally and physically. I know I am. I'm plain old tired today.
We also feel very blessed. Our one bad day a year, that is full of doctors appointments and tests, is nothing compared to the people who do this sort of thing for weeks, months and even years on end. Our hearts go out to the children and families who we see during our one day down at the U.C. Davis Medical Center. It keeps our perspective very real.
Luke was a total champion all day. He layed still and silent for his ultra sound (who would have guessed he could even lay still and silent for so long!) And the VCUG (where they catheterized him) went much better than last year. Unfortunately, the numbing agent they used during the procedure left him screaming that his "pee hurt" for about an hour afterwards. Good times.
Luke's reflux was labeled a grade 1-2 (out of 0-5). But the urologist said that it's essentially the same as last year. So, not a lot of progress. We were given three options, one being surgery, another is to keep him on the antibiotic and continue the same route with more tests in a year and the last was to take him off his antibiotic and as long as he doesn't get a kidney infection, then all is well. Years ago, most people didn't know they had this condition because they didn't have the technology. They would only find out about it if you were getting reoccurring kidney infections. Most children would outgrow the condition without any symptoms and none would be the wiser. With Luke, we actually found out there was something wrong in utero. Ignorance is bliss, right?
We decided (with our doctor's input, of course) to take him off the antibiotic's and continue as if he will just outgrow this and all will be well. He will get a yearly ultra sound here locally, but that will be a piece of cake.
That's the course we are taking. And I feel really good about this decision. Luke has been on an antibiotic since birth and I really dislike giving to to him. I'm going to give it up to God and not worry about what we can't control. Like we should do with all things in life.
Have a blessed weekend :)
~Marjorie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the pee hurt thing only an hr or were you just blocking it out. I thought he was telling us that hte entire time we were at the mall 3 hrs later.

Love you guys and see you on SundaySundaySunday!!!
jD

Grace and Aria said...

Leave it to your husband to point out any details that may have been left out. (And there are a lot.) The screaming (my pee hurts!) and appalled looks from strangers lasted about an hour. We had a lot of time to kill between appointments. Sitting in the car was worse than walking around (and around) the mall. At least there were many distractions.

OK, Jerry... don't you have a fire to go put out or something? love you!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news. I will continue to keep you all and sweet Luke in my prayers.

So what you mean is... that I can't control everything??? ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, this is good news. Poor little guy and all those tests. I will keep your family in my prayers, with hopes that this heals on its own.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin