Messy.
Summertime is messy. Oh, I try to be cool about the whole thing. A child's job is to play... I know that. But it's days like today when I'm just totally loosing my cool. A bit cranky, but I'm the first one to admit it today!
It's blankets and pillows and stuffed animals. It's cushions off the couches to play Olympics (I love that they want to play Olympics, but enough is enough.) It's shoes.... everywhere. And the nagging to wear my "silver shoes." (The ones that are put away for a reason.) It's purses and baby dolls to play "mom and dad." Boy, it sounds so nice and sweet when I type it out. I am cranky. OH, and water glasses! How many glasses or cups does one child need for water?!
OK, so it's not summertime that's messy, it's childhood that's messy. But I'm tired of messes. Tomorrow we clean. Cleaning out, too... of the junk and toys that I keep tripping over. Then maybe, the blankets and pillows and stuffed animals won't seem like such a big deal. Maybe I could enjoy a fort or two if the Little People barn we have didn't start "mooing" in the middle of the night and the Little People weren't waiting on my floor to trip me up around every corner. Just maybe.
Oh, and here is a humbling thought... I read this on my parenting flip calendar (back in June and I just don't have the heart to turn the page because I still can't get over it), "Are you most concerned about your image or your kids' character?" Here is the prayer attached: Father, as we raise our daughters and sons, remind us that You are the author of their childish ways.
The rest of the prayer is good, but that was the getter for me. God is the author of their childish ways. wow. Just let that sink in a bit. I'm humbled. This was all His idea?
But tomorrow we still clean. And then, I can enjoy His design of a child.




3 comments:
Oh we have the summertime messies around here too! It's the million little toys carted inside and outside the house that drive me CRAZY!
All I can say is, I went from laughing out loud (what parent hasn't been scared witless by a two a.m. wake up call from Little People barn/airport/garage??) to completely humbled in the blink of an eye. Yes...He is the author of their childish ways! Great post, Auntie M!
i think i needed to read that...i am too impatient too often. i yearn to be more tolerant, laid back, fun...i do what i say is my best, but could probably do better. :) thanks for this great reminder, friend.
Post a Comment