:: sprouted wheat bread
:: hummus
:: Swiss cheese (the part that's not so good for me)
:: lemon cucumbers (from my garden)
:: tomatoes (from my garden)
:: avocado if I have them (the other part that's not so good for me)
And sometimes I throw in lettuce or spinach if I'm in the mood (read, if I'm not being lazy.)
Home-grown tomatoes in the summer is probably my all time favorite food. I just can't get enough! And there's nothing that compliments a tomato better than basil. Mmmmm.....
For most of the summer, I was running up and down the stairs and into the backyard to pick basil for something we were cooking (I use the word "we" lightly.) Then I had an idea. A grand idea! (OK, I stole it from my older German neighbor.) I gave her basil, along with tomatoes and she put it in a jar, on her counter, to keep it fresh. Now this is not a new idea by any means, but I am so happy with my basil on the counter idea that I just had to share. It looks good, smells good and is ready for the taking. AND I only need to cut and bring basil in a couple times a week, instead of daily.
Jerry really is the cook in our family, and he makes me tomatoes baked in the oven. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture. A little salt, pepper, basil (of course), mozzarella and some parmesan cheese. Oh. my. yumm. The oven dries out the tomatoes so it has an intense flavor. And another thing that I love to accompany my maters is fresh motz.
Tomato, cucumber, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar (plus salt and pepper) is pretty much a staple with every dinner around here. The other variation that I love is minus the cucumbers and add fresh mozzarella. Hungry yet?
They say you can never have too much of a good thing (that's exactly how I feel about tomatoes.) But "they" also say, "everything in moderation." Oops.
And as a side note, I've been dreaming about Italy as of late. I want to vacation there... I wonder why?




5 comments:
Cant wait to get home and eat some of the garden. She is my 4th child
jD
Yes, full props go to you, Jer. You are the garden man! I just enjoy the harvest ;)
Oh how I wish we were neighbors. I LOVE tomato sandwiches!! Okay, that baked tomato thing looks yummo!
Isn't God good for giving us such beautiful, tasty, healthy food?
Avocados are "good" fat...so eat 'em up, guilt free!
Love, Lorna
Hey Jerry,
Where are those famous Dolley cucumber sandwiches?
Cousin Dave
Post a Comment