Good times today at the park with the boys. Want to hear? OK, I'll tell you.
So, we show up at the park and there are only two other moms there with their cute children (all girls and the oldest being around three years old.) The moms were busy visiting and pushing their kids on the swings. Cool, I don't have to make small talk or worry about the boys throwing sand in anyone's eyes, etc. I just happen to bring my bag with me so I could crochet while Cole and Luke were playing. FINALLY I reached the time in my mommy life when I can sit and do something while my children play happily on the playground. (You can tell this isn't going to go well, can't you?)
Now, it's not like I wasn't watching at all. I kept looking to check and both Cole and Luke were playing on the same tunnel slide together. Cole was climbing up and sliding down, while taking the youngest out on the way down. It was business as usual. I was feeling a little smug. Ahhh, just sitting here working away on another hat (of course, what else?)
Then I hear one of the moms say to me, "excuse me, miss" (she said "mam" but I really dislike being called that - so let's pretend she said "miss.") Oh, they are talking to ME? It must be to ask the time or possibly to ask what it is that I'm crocheting. (ha, ha.)
"Your son has climbed up on the outside of the slide." Oh, crumb. The tunnel slide. The really big, huge one that twirls around. Yes, on the outside, near the top is where Cole was hugging the slide and looking at me waiting for me to come rescue him. Of course, I casually walk over (maybe I shouldn't tell this part) and start to laugh because it was so unbelievable. And also, I thought that surely he must be able to work his way down from there. Didn't he get himself into this situation?
But no, just like a cat up the tree, Cole was stuck. In the end, one of the ladies had to come over and help as I climbed up and grabbed my child and handed him down to the nice stranger. All the while I'm saying things like, "he's never done anything like this before" & "this was a first" & "thank you so much for your help." They probably had a thing or two to say about me when they left. But really, it happened in a second!
Needless to say, I didn't go back to crocheting in the park today. Maybe we're not quite there yet. OR maybe Cole won't do anything like that ever again. Ya right, who am I kidding?
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
story from the park
Labels:
C is for Cole
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
Thats my boy!
jD
are you talking about kaden...or cole? i swear, been there, done that!....did i ever tell you cole is kaden's middle name??? :)
hey girl...
YOU WON!!
Oh my gosh! That yellow slide is WAY up there! They don't stop that, just so you know. I had to rescue a 10 year old boy off of the high bar at school because he was hanging upside down off of the tall upright that supports the high bar/fireman pole and his legs were getting weak. His arms couldn't pull himself back up. It was like walking the high wire to the even higher wire to get to him! Boys!!!
soooo funny.
did i ever tell you about the time i was playing basketball at skyridge with kirstie, the adairs, scott namany and some other random people, and aidan got stuck on the monkey bars and had to be helped down by a kind stranger?
They like to do that to us....
Post a Comment