Tuesday, August 18, 2009

a new school

First day of school in a new school. Grace (in the red and blue) was nervous about making new friends. She came home asking if she could give her phone number to two new friends. Cole was excited and nervous to start Kindergarten. And mom and dad were a little worried about all of the above.

Last year I decided I had enough of the school system we were in and we needed a change. The story is long and probably boring to anyone else (I'll spare you the details.) I decided to make the switch to a Montessori school. And better yet, a charter Montessori... meaning that it is tuition free. Most of the second half of last school year was spend agonizing and praying about this decision. The only downfall I could really find is the 20 minute drive to get there (compared to Grace's walk across the street to catch the buss for second grade.)


After our visit to the school in the spring, Jerry decided I liked it because it was very "Little House on the Prairie." That's exactly one of the reasons it's so appealing to me. This is their playground:

And this is Cole's favorite part of the playground:

There's no play equipment. It's a Kindergarten through 8th grade with less than 100 students. The school is located on 30+ acres with a large creek out back and nature trails. There is a pond a great place for a beautiful garden (Jerry, get to work). Wonder if there's room for me to build a house?

I hope and pray this is going to be our last school change for a long time. The road's a little bumpy right now - the kids are hot and tired from school and a bit whiney, but I think that's to be expected wherever they go to school. I'm just a little on edge still that this is our new school home. I want everyone to be happy and all to be well. Don't we all?

Update: Grace just came home and said they picked blackberries at school today :)

7 comments:

Molly said...

you've captured their little school on the prairie perfectly! that school is on one prime piece of real estate :)

jade said...

sounds like a perfect school! hey, and how did you add text to your pic???

Whitney said...

That is absolutely awesome! I didn't know that kind of playground was even around anymore! Good luck with you and yours:)

Patty T said...

That drive doesn't sound fun, but the rest does! I think they'll do great...but I understand all of the apprehensive, anticipation, expectation stuff, as you know:). At least if they are starting a new school it's a small one. Not quite so overwhelming!

Lorna said...

I love it! How far is the drive from Roseville? :)

Jessica said...

That school is a winner if Grace is coming home saying she picked blackberries!

Visty said...

I am beyond jealous. That looks heavenly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin