Sunday, August 16, 2009

i had a list

We bought a "new to us" tent trailer this summer. And while I wish we had a chance for more camping trips, and could have stayed a wee bit longer, we did have a lot of fun in our tent trailer.

This is what we were doing last week. One last hurrah before school starts tomorrow. August 17th - doesn't that sound way too early for a first day of school? Am I wrong in remembering that school always started right after Labor Day weekend? I just seems too soon.

I had a list. Be it a mental list, but it was a list nonetheless. Every summer I have a list of things to do and places to go with the kids and people I want to see, etc. Sometimes it's a list on paper - which I usually loose. But I never accomplish nearly as much as I would like... that factor remains the same. There's just not enough time (and money.)

This year I would say that I squeezed every bit of life out of summer. No we did not make it to Sunsplash or see nearly as many friends as I would have liked, but I was much more aware of the time we were spending and enjoying the time together. (Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of being completely and utterly frazzled by my children. Thank goodness for God's grace.) There was more thinking on my part... sure it's hot and I'm miserable, but this will be a good day. Mind over matter I suppose. A choice to make the best of every situation. And my sweet husband's kind words, "don't sweat the little stuff."

"Live intentionally. Forget that and your life will be lived for you." Linus Mundy
I have a long ways to go on this journey. But that's the great part - it's a journey and I've still got time to get it right. By saying it here in my little space, it makes it more real. A written reminder.

One more thing; if you've been reading my blog for a while, you know that I have issues finishing things... so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that I'm not going to finish my "summer fun" blog game. There's still more to share of summer, but it's too close to fall to commit to another 20+ days of recapping summer. Plus I got bored. I like change and sometimes you have to cross things off of your list.

2 comments:

Lorna said...

"Live intentionally. Forget that and your life will be lived for you."

Oh boy, that's good. Between Patty's post on expectations and this...well, my mindset this morning is already getting better. Love you!

Kristen said...

love the new look of the blog! :) hope the first day was a good one!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin