Wednesday, September 19, 2007

JB


Those who know me wouldn't say that I am a "pet person" by any means. In fact, I was working in Grace's class this week and I felt bad for her because everyone was taking a turn listing their pets and Grace said, "what if we don't have a pet?" I wanted to run out and buy her a gold fish right then and there! Poor girl, no pet... what kind of mother does she have anyways?

Well, we used to have a pet ~ Joe Boots. This barn cat that used to live at Jerry's parents (out on the "farm") stole my heart once upon a time.

Way back before kids, the barn cat out at the Dolley farm had kittens. One was different in that he sort of looked Siamese and he had thumbs! Plus he was a little cream colored fur ball. Big Papa was very attached to him, too.

As I'm sure my dear friend Kim can remember, I couldn't get him out of my mind. In fact, I had to have him. I was nervous, but I called Big Papa and asked if I could have Joe Boots. Of course he said yes (he always says yes :) And Kim went with me to pick him up and get me settled with my first cat. Jerry was working, by the way... I couldn't even wait for him to get home in a day or two. I wanted that cat now. Papa said I could have him under one circumstance, if I ever changed my mind, I had to bring him back. Little did I know he would one day end up at back at the farm.

So, Joe went from barn cat to inside pampered cat. I even tried to put him on a leash! ha, haaa... that was a joke. All was well until we had our first baby. It was okay until Grace was about 2 years and she used to love him, too. But he wasn't too excited about this thing that had taken his place as the baby in the house. I hate to get into the ugly details, but it became painfully obvious that Joe Boots needed to go (especially since baby #2 was on his way.)

Long story short, Joe Boots went back out to live on the Dolley farm where he was probably meant to be all along. He is very happy with his arrangement there. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of him basking in the sun, enjoying retirement. But if the kids get too close, he doesn't stick around. And a few times, I have even caught up with him alone and he lets me give him some love. All my tears have dried from the cat who couldn't be with me, and I'm happy that he loves his home and he is still well loved.

According to my calendar, sometime this week is his birthday. Happy birthday, JB.

6 comments:

Molly said...

Our kids are in good company when it comes to the lack of pets. Maybe we can get a group discount when they need therapy down the road.

Anonymous said...

funny you just posted about cats today... we are cat sitting for friends and the cat got out and is gone... not good!

i totally relate to your story, we too had a cat. i also tried the leash thing, even taking him to a soccer game once. he didn't like being replaced with babies either and also made it painfully (stinky) obvious.

Grace and Aria said...

molly, yes, I am glad I'm not the only one scarring their children out there!

chik austin, I hope you find the cat! also, our stories sound very similar ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes, JB is currently basking in the sun. He is very happy and when we sit out on the deck in the evening he visits with us; sitting on our lap getting his ears scratched and rubbed. He does prefer a quiet sedate life.

Anonymous said...

I forgot - I often believe that by Joe going to your house to live you spared him from the true barn cat life, which as we know can be short. You showed him a different side of life...he stays close to the house like his Mama which is safer by far. So it was a good thing that you did-he's still yours and always will be...Gma D

Grace and Aria said...

Oh, thank you. I still love him, but he's much happier now :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin