I can do it; by myself! I used to ask for help when I was small, but now I'm big and I can do it all..... (one of my favorite Barney songs from when Grace was in her Barney watching days.) And yes, I do like Barney for kids, but that is a different conversation. What I did was learn to crochet. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks!
A couple months ago, my neighbor and friend, Molly, and I went to Starbucks and had our first lesson. We ordered our hot drinks and cozied (apparently this is not a word - but it is for me) on the couch next to the fireplace and enjoyed some girl talk and a little "stitching." (And some much needed time away from home.) The lessons have continued over the past two months, but not the "coffee on the couch" type of lessons. These have been tea in the kitchen with our children running and screaming and fighting in the background. Some have been quick "run over and learn a new stitch before anyone notices I'm gone" lessons.
I first started with a couple headbands. They are very cute and I want to make more, but I was a little bored and wanted a bigger challenge. My sister-in-law, Patty, suggested a pattern that she had used to make a beanie type of hat. Thanks for rushing the pattern over to me that day, Patty (and Chis!) When I decide I want to do something, I want to do it NOW. I'm funny that way... I'm a serious procrastinator, but then I want immediate satisfaction. Hmmmm...
So, here's my hat while in progress:
I had a few "kinks" and needed to pull out a few rows to start over (a couple times.) But all in all, it went fairly well.
I could pretend that I went with the stripe on the bottom on purpose, but the truth is, that I ran out of the variegated green and had to start up with a new color. I'm actually glad this happened, though. I like the results. Grace is not so sure. Oh, well. You can't win them all.
I started another one last night at Cole's request. blue. Of course, what else?




8 comments:
Love it! I'm very proud of your first hat, and can't wait to see Cole's. You'll have to let me know when you are ready to knit... Love the new banner/background too! Puts me in the mood for Valentines.
Wow! The hat is adorable. I love the pink stripe, of course, it looks on purpose to me.
Great new look to your site too!
My hat's off to you...but not my crocheted (sp??...sounds like "crow-shayed") one because I can't crochet...or knit...or sew! And it's all good. I love the stripe. It makes the hat! Proud of you, 5er!
oh, wow...this looks like you have been at it for a long time! maybe i should move over to a crochet hook instead...
I love the hat! Great colors and I am glad you ran out of green too! Very impressive girl! Jealous with envy!
I'm so proud of you! I can only do a scarf. I need to come over for coffee to learn to go in a circle!
Pretty good. Nice job. I would like a blue and grey striped one:)
Thank you, friends! You are too nice.
Dave,
Blue and grey... maybe.
Post a Comment