Monday, February 25, 2008

Today he would have been 98.


Happy Birthday Grandpa Tvedt. He passed away on April 4th 2002, but I think of him most every day. He would have been 98 today. He was also a Dad, cowboy, firefighter, a grandfather and Christian. Had he not enjoyed his wine and flirting with the waitresses, I might have thought he missed his calling as a preacher. He could tell a story like Mark Twain. And he always loved to give Marjorie a hard time. First thing he would do when he would see her is ask her if she had been true to him. It was their game! The top picture is him in 1939 when he started with the Los Angeles City Fire Department. The last picture is him at his retirement party 30 yrs later in 1969.

I have a ton of memories of him, but my favorite moment was the last time I saw him. He was in the hospital, we both were crying and then he looked up at me with all the strength in the world. He took my hand and said the greatest thing I have ever heard. Without a waver in his voice he asked me if I believe in God. I said yes, and without hesitation he said "then we will be together again."


That's all I have to say about that.


JD

4 comments:

Grace and Aria said...

Grandpa T was one of a kind! Loved by everyone - how could you not love him!? My favorite was after dinner he would say, "well, there's no sideshow..."

And Jerry just reminded me what he would say at Thanksgiving... "I wonder what all the poor people are doing today?" And Grandma T would reply "their sitting right here." (a little comic relief after making me cry!)

Anonymous said...

You will see him again! Happy Birthday Grandpa!!!

Anonymous said...

I was 19 when I met "pop" for the first time. He quickly became another father figure to me. I remember when we were fishing in Bishop creek and he fell in the water. He was back up on his feet in a flash and I recall thinking what quick reflexes for an "old guy." Great sentiment, Jerry. I too think about him often.
U.Don

Anonymous said...

When we bought the house he was over helping do some reapir work before we had moved in. It was very hot that week and so he decided that he would take a swim in the pool. He walked over to the deep end and dove. I watched him for about 10 seconds panic as he was not moving and bobbing a little. About the time I got down to the pool he was swimming fine. I asked if he was ok and he just popped back with "I was just getting my swimming arms back, its been 15yrs or so". He was 88 at the time.

JD

Blog Widget by LinkWithin