Hey, there! So, I was tagged for a "meme" about blogging. Anne from Green Jello tagged me (and I am so happy to now know why her blog is named Green Jello ;) Anyways, here goes...
1) Why did you start your blog?
My good friend and neighbor, Molly, started a blog and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it almost daily. (It was the first I had ever heard of a "blog.")
I was talking to one of my high school friends on the phone one day and we were discussing how poorly we were at keeping in touch. I got off the phone and it just hit me that I could start my own blog and it would be a way to keep in touch with friends and family that aren't close by. Even those that are in the same town don't always know what's going on with us on a daily basis.
2) How did you come up with your blog name?
Jerry set up my blog for me (because I am a world-class procrastinator!) I remember that I was in the kitchen and he was asking me for a blog name and we just started rattling stuff off. The first couple we tried were already taken. Auburn Doll House was not taken. It is a play on our name and where we live.
3) Do your friends and family know about your blog? What do they think of it?
All of our family knows about our blog, but not all read. Some friends know... it's kind of a weird thing. People seem to either think it's very cool and love it OR they don't. I think it's taken a while for some to realize that it is a website and it's always there - it's not like an email.
4) How do you write posts?
So much of what I write revolves around my photography. That is my true love. It's what inspires me. My husband, Jerry, sometimes amazes me at the stuff he will post - our brains are wired differently. But it's awesome!
5) Have you ever had a troll or had to delete unkind comments?
I had one really weird comment (that I can't really remember now) and I deleted the comment and added the "security feature" to the comments page.
6) Do you check your stats? Do you care how many people read your blog? If you care, how do you increase traffic?
After a while I did add Sitemeter to my blog because I was convinced that nobody read and I was thinking of quiting. I don't care so much how many people read, as long as I'm not talking to myself completely. I know a few people in our family that read on a regular basis but they just don't comment. I don't look at the Sitemeter very often (because I have to look up my password, etc. every time) but when I do, I'm always shocked to see there are people in Germany or Russia (or where ever) coming to my little blog. I wish they would say hello. Guten tag!!
7) What kind of blogs/posts interest you?
Blogs or posts that interest me are things related to parenting, photography and just real people! Some of my favorites are A Foothill Home Companion, chickaustin, green jello (of course), Beauty for Ashes, Confessions of a Pioneer Woman, pssst and there are more, but frankly I am tired of linking.
8) What do you like and dislike about blogging?
I love that this is my little space (and Jerry's, too.) It is therapeutic, and inspiring. I belong to a mom's group at our church (MOPS) and we have had many speakers who mentioned keeping a journal and it's importance. I do have a mother's journal where I write stories about the children, but not everything. This is like scrap booking online. It's our story, our history.
I am able to explore parenting, my faith, photography as a possible career... the possibilities are endless. It's whatever I make of it, right?
What I dislike about "blogging" is that it can be very "high schoolish" if you allow yourself to be affected. This is one reason I removed the list of blogs that I like. It also helps me to focus on what my blog is all about. And it's not about how many strangers I can get to read. On the other hand, I have met a few great friends through this crazy world of blogging.
And because it would just feel weird to have such a long post without a picture of some sort...
It's me! This pic was taken by Grace a couple years ago. There aren't many pictures of me because I don't like my photo taken and also, I am usually the one behind the camera.
OH, and I'm supposed to tag someone (actually, a lot of people) but I really don't know too many who I could tag. So, I will tag Molly, Kirstie and Lacy. No worries if you don't feel like playing. auf Weidersehen!




4 comments:
Hey you! Good to see you!!! :)
Thanks for linking to me and also thanks for reminding me to do this meme!
yay! for sure I will play Marjorie!
Thank you for tagging me.
I'm so excited that you are delving into photography. I truly think you will be gifted with it...love the belly shot. It's SO soft and purty!
hugs
lace
woohoo! great meme. can't wait to answer all those questions. love learning more about you dear friend!
I was looking through some of your older posts, and it cracked me up when I read it...the part where you said, "Our family knows about our blog, but not all read." Ha, Ha. Can be interpreted 2 different ways!
Post a Comment