Monday, April 28, 2008

Uncle Doug

I wish I wasn't posting this here on our blog right now. I wish Jerry's Uncle Doug hadn't passed away this weekend after a long battle with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP.) I wish I had the words to express how our hearts ache for our uncle and friend whom we loved dearly. I wish I could explain to people how fun and wonderful this man was and how much we miss him, even though we haven't seen him in years.


I wish I could go back to those days we visited Doug and Jean in Maine and relive it, to savor every moment we had together. I wish we could eat Lobster and crab rolls and drink California wine together again.


I wish this was all a bad dream and that he was going to walk in our door at any moment and give me one of his world class hugs. I wish that I could hear him say just one more time, "Yah, baybaay."


I wish that we could toast to life and sit up until the early morning hours to discuss just about anything and everything again. I wish I could play Cribbage even half as good as Uncle Doug played. I wish so many things...


I wish that we could be at his funeral; that we weren't so far away. That we could have spent his last days with him. I wish that we could cry with Aunt Jean and personally thank her for the care she gave Doug over the last seven years.


I wish there were more days for two brothers who loved each other dearly.
I wish my children would have had the pleasure to know Uncle Doug and his love for life. He had an easy going attitude that was contagious. A laugh that could make the whole room laugh.


I know that one day I will see you again in Heaven. I know it will be a glorious day.
Jerry asked me to put in this poem, that so beautifully captures the power of faith.
I am standing on the seashore.
A ship appears
and spreads her white sails
to the morning breeze
and starts for the ocean.
She is an object of beauty
and I stand watching her
till at last she fades away on the horizon,
and someone at my side quietly says,
"She is gone." Gone where?
Gone from my vision, that is all;
she is just as large as when I saw her last.
The diminished size
and the total loss of sight
is in me, not in her;
and just at the moment
when someone at my side says,
"She is gone,"
there are others who are watching
her coming and other voices
take up a joyful shout,
"There she comes!"
Author unknown. This was taken from John Maxwell's book, Today Matters.


I have fought the fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. II Timothy 4:7-8

We love you, Uncle Doug. "Dougie."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Marjorie. You are all in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I wish those things too. I wish Amanda remembered more than his mustache but at 3 it made a huge impression on her. I get so frustrated that he had that disease, knowing he had so much more life to live. It just doesn't seem fair. Who am I to question? He had a magnetic way to him and I'm so glad that we got the opportunity to get to know him as adults so we could know how truly special he was.

Mommy said...

Marjorie - I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to Uncle Doug. He seems like a wonderful man. May the Lord bless you all in these sad days.

Hug- Jennifer

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a wonderful man; what a sad time for your family. I love the poem you posted, it's perfect.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin