Thursday, June 5, 2008

heart on my sleeve

"Do you ever feel like that cheerleader who is a half step behind the entire routine? I do. Sometimes it seems that all of the moms I know have it all together, and I'm kicking with the wrong leg." From 31 Days with God for Mothers.

This is how I have been feeling lately. When I read that in my devotional this morning, I was thinking, "that's me, kicking with the wrong leg." Not that I was ever a cheerleader... But then I remind myself that God doesn't make mistakes and he gave my children the mom they were meant to have. Even with all my imperfections. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels tired of this job of mothering, and even if I am, this too shall pass.... and I will lean on Him for strength and comfort.

"What a relief to simply let go of my need to do everything perfectly - and instead just do everything for You! You know I'll always make mistakes; You know that sometimes my best efforts will look like failures to everybody else. Thank You that I can simply relax and trust You to work everything out according to Your plan." Darlene Sala

Now to work on relaxing and trusting - that's the hard part, right? And as we move into a new season of summer, otherwise known as 'all kids, all the time,' I pray that I will have the patience and the ability to live in the moment with my children. I am letting go of expectations; the need to feel like I fit in somewhere. As my dear friend told me recently, "who really feels like they fit in?" (sorry, if I misquoted.)

So there you go, I put it all out on the table. Now I can move on!
Have a blessed day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you posted that! You have no idea how much I needed that reminder. I feel like I'm always kicking with the wrong leg.

Just this week I hosted a lake playdate with Makena's friends that we've known since she was a baby. I tell you, I've never made the perfect lunch for her. At least in my eyes. So there she goes again, not eating what I made for her but eating everyone elses food. It gave me such a complex.

Sounds like a good book there!

Anonymous said...

You're not alone! There were times this week when I felt like my head was making a whirring sound as I tried to remember everything I was supposed to do and still try to listen to my kids needs...all three of them...hahaha. Then a lady at my gym this morning was almost in tears because her grown son is back at home and going through a divorce while still paying for his wife's house and car so his kids will be safe; all this while she's out dating and he can barely make enough to survive himself. I wasn't sure if I was thankful for my gripes or sad because this mothering stuff never goes away. Wait, did this help any??? Sorry!!! Stressed out rambling is never good.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I revisited this once again this morning. What a lovely reminder.

I'm going to share it with my women's bible study group. Thanks Marjorie!

Lorna said...

Kicking with the wrong leg...I get that, I really do. I love this post...it's so easy to forget that we have company not only when we're standing on the mountain celebrating our victorious climb, but also in the valleys, when the sun hides it's glory behind the clouds.

I've been trying to do a lot more leaning on Him and a lot less leaning on my own worries about my worth. Keep your focus on Him...in His eyes you fit perfectly and kick with the right leg every time.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin