My dear husband loves raspberries. He introduced me to the love of raspberries back when we were first married. I don't remember eating them growing up. Of course, who can afford to buy them at $4.99 a basket. And why are berry baskets so small? Even when they are on sale, it's only enough to tease your taste buds.
So, when our elderly neighbor suggested we plant raspberries in our backyard for the kids to snack on during swimming season, we were surprised. Could you really grow raspberries in your backyard? The same kind you buy in the store? They were so expensive to buy. They must be rare and difficult to grow. Perhaps they only grow in the remote areas of some jungle far, far away....
But alas, they grow quite wonderfully right in our own back yard. So, why are they so expensive? I think that because they are delicate and also because they don't ripen all at once like blackberries do. It's not because they aren't plentiful:




5 comments:
Yum yum yum...we need to plant some berries for sure! Need to go to my Mom's - she has tons of blackberries that need picking :)...
Oh I'm so jealous. They look simply divine! My deer would love those!!
We'd love some shoots when they are ready! Those look great! Don't you love watching them get better and better each year, coaxing and coaxing the babies along...that's the best part about back yard "farming".
Oh yeah, one more thing. I wonder if his first memories of raspberries are wandering up and down the isles of Uncle Ernie's garden? I still remember picking them off the vines. I think I was only 3 or 4.
I had raspberries and black raspberries growing with wild abandon in back of my house growing up. Are blackberries and black raspberries the same thing? I've always wondered...
Post a Comment