Tuesday, July 15, 2008

no labels please



Last year someone (someone wise in parenting) told me that you should never label your children. oops. So, like, I shouldn't be telling people (in front of my little Cole) that my middle child is shy? Add that one to the list of reasons my children will need therapy when they are older ;)

The more I thought about this "no labeling" rule, it made sense and I cursed myself for ever doing it to begin with. Apparently, any label you put upon your child can negatively effect how they think about themselves. (duh, I should have thought of this.) So, for example, if you always say that your child is silly, then they feel compelled to live up to this label. Boy this parenting thing is complicated sometimes! Or maybe we just make it more complicated than it needs to be... (but that's a post for another time.)

Well, Jerry and I have noticed a trend with Cole, our boy who is cautious and always has to observe a situation before diving in. (How was that for a label?) With every new situation, he seems to be blossoming; coming out of his shell. Starting with preschool last fall, suddenly he seemed like a new boy. Those high school teachers just pulled my little man right out of his shell. I've even heard him sing a time or two!

At the beginning of summer, Cole went to swim lessons with teacher Karen and we saw even more progress. Speaking of diving in...


And yesterday, Cole, started a week long soccer camp. His first time to try out a sport! I'm so proud of him, this mama's heart could burst. Forget the fact that his soccer jersey is a bit too long. That boy looks good out there!

Getting ready for his first day, I worried that he would be afraid to go or worry about how it all would work. Instead, Cole said to me "mom, I'm going to make some new friends at soccer today." How's that for coming out of his shell? He even told Grace that she should come to the park and make some new friends, too.


The moral of the story is that we shouldn't label our children. They just might prove us wrong! This is one time that I love being wrong.

5 comments:

Molly said...

and there you go and label this post "c for cole" - hehe, just kidding. very cute story. i wonder what luke will grow up to think about his dad calling him stupid. hehe, just kidding again. watch out tonight i'm feeling punchy.

Grace and Aria said...

I think I have been miss labeled! It was not exactly like that my(insert label) green neighbor haha!

jD

Anonymous said...

Oh I can totally relate. Little Ms. Makena has been 'shy' her entire life... up until now. I feel like she's really coming into her own now. It's fun to see her stepping out! :)

Anonymous said...

Go Cole! I'm so glad it's cooler and cleaner outside this week for his camp! Looks like fun! Evan has to play a double header on Friday to make up for the game they cancelled last week due to the smoke. I'm thinking...2 hours worth of games(normally only one hour)...a bunch of young kids...whining by the end of the first game...with still one more game to go. Yikes! Good thoughts on the labels. Amanda has always been more cautious. Sometimes it's hard for me to figure out when to push/encourage them and when to just let them be.

Lorna said...

Love the leg up on the ball...just like a pro! Go rock that soccer field, Cole!

Love you, Auntie Lorna

Blog Widget by LinkWithin