And our first eggplant!! Which Jerry planted for me, but he's not such a big fan. The prettiest eggplant I've ever seen. Prickly, too! I found out the hard way. Ouch.
And then, if I could make a few more enemies, Jerry (aka Blog Boy) made me this Grilled Eggplant Parmesan. It was inspired from this recipe, but with my chef's own spin (plus we didn't have breadcrumbs.) I highly recommend it. Plus it has my very favorite from the garden... tomatoes.
I could live on tomatoes. I'm convinced. If I were deserted on an island, and I had to pick one favorite type of food to live on, it would be tomatoes. So far we've made:
*the above
*baked tomatoes (with polenta)
*bruschetta
*salsa
*tomato cucumber red onion salad
*tomato fresh mozzarella salad
*tomato basil and balsamic vinegar salad
What do you do with tomatoes? I would love to hear some "fresh" ideas ;)




6 comments:
Crazy enough, we're not fans of raw tomatoes in this house. :) But I know what Dave would do with them...lots and lots and lots of salsa. :)
I won't fight you for the tomatoe. not a fan of them in the raw, but love them processed or in a salsa :) I know... high maintenance for sure.
hugs
Oh...I had a yummy fresh salsa made for me once. Fresh diced tomatoes, finely chopped white onion, fresh cilantro, mexican queso. SO yummy! I almost ate the whole bowl by myself. This wasn't too hard since Chris doesn't like tomatoes. :-) I would love to eat them more often but since he doesn't like them I don't make fun recipes with them in it. So sad.
--Merri C
Are those Rosa Bianca? They are lovely. I have done all of the above, except my Rosa Bianca eggplants did not thrive, so no parmesan for me. However, we have made salsa so far, and I want to try tomato chutney (even though I am not a huge fan of Indian food). I found recipes here http://beecreative.typepad.com/bee_creative/2009/07/more-from-the-dye-pot-and-sun-spiders.html and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t2uqOkc4NQ.
I don't have any other tomato ideas-they are such a hit here the cherry tomatoes I pick in the garden are usually gone by the time I put a few in the salad. I love them whole, still warm from the sun as an afternoon snack!
Here are my tomaoto ideas:
*sliced with sea salt and pepper on my breakfast plate, along with scrambled eggs
*sliced on a bed of fresh spinach with a "sunny side" egg on top
*sauted with shrimp, garlic, olive oil, kosher or sea salt and fresh pepper and served over whole wheat cous cous
Post a Comment