Thursday, October 8, 2009

the last splash


The last weekend in September was our last splash. Every year summer fades and fall comes... I wonder when was our last time in the pool? You never know when it's going to be. This year, I knew.

Once school starts, the interest in the pool dies. The nights get cooler (thank goodness!) and the pool can't hold it's heat. But it doesn't mean there won't be days in September that reach 100 degrees. And when it's that hot outside, even a cold pool sounds good to little people. Not me... oh, no. I require a warmish pool.

It was our last hot weekend in the forecast and I told the boys to make one big splash until next year. They ran, they jumped, they swam races... one final hurrah. Then there lips turned purple and they shivered and layed in the sun.


This was the summer I've been waiting for - the summer where all of my kids can swim and have fun in the pool without me! It was a beautiful thing. Cole finally decided it would be more fun to join in the pool games than watch from outside the pool. And Luke decided early on that he was going to swim. He jumped in and swam. My mouth gaped open for probably a week at this turn of events. It was magic.


The final splash has been had and this last week has been pants and sweatshirts, a fire in our new wood burning stove insert and wrapped in blankets to eat breakfast. I promise to bring fall colors, pumpkins and thoughts on thankfulness around these parts going forward. I just needed one last splash.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

it was a good swim yr for the boys!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin